- Provides strategic direction, leadership and overall management oversight of Health Information Management (HIM) functions in a multi-facility setting with multiple departments, including scanning, and release of information functions.
- Represents the organization as custodian of the medical records.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective policies, procedures, systems and working relationships with other departments and medical centers, Regional HIM, providers, external attorneys, regulatory and other reporting entities as well as Revenue Cycle and Quality/Risk. Works closely with local department leaders and Regional HIM.
- Responsible for oversight of the all HIM departmental functions, including, paper record delivery & retrieval, abstracting & analysis, coding oversight, data collection, management & reporting, release of information oversight & vital statistics.
- Responsible for the timely submission of complete and accurate clinical data across variance platforms such as OSHPD, CMQCC, CalIVRS.
- Initiates & participates in process improvement activities in the local Medical Center & Region.
- Provides direction to the HIM team to ensure daily operations are functioning effectively.
- Manages & resolves employee & department safety & risk management issues.
- Safety Conversations and Direct report rounding.
- Fosters the Labor Management Partnership (LMP) through a well-functioning Unit Based Team (UBT).
- Participates in labor negotiations & discussions relating to operations & staff.
- Provides effective financial management & efficient use of resources.
- Directs the development of budgets.
- Monitors operating expenses, analyzes variances & develops corrective action plans.
Compliance and Collaboration
- Ensures compliance with Health Information Management requirements mandated by TJC, NCQA, federal & state laws & regulations, Title 22, OSHPD, CMS, medical staff by-laws, & regional & local policies & procedures
Role expectations: Promotes the effective use of health information data by providing the statistical analysis & reports, & by consulting with other departments who utilize data for management, quality, utilization, research, billing & other functions & purposes. Leverages technology to drive leading edge health informatic advances.
• Eight (8) years of experience in health information management, including three (3) years of management experience.
• Bachelor's degree required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Registered Health Information Administration Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA)credential.
• Experience using and managing electronic health records and systems.
• Detailed knowledge of The Joint Commission (TJC), California Code of Regulations (Title 22), and National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA), Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD), Centers for Medicare
and Medicaid Services (CMS) and federal, state, and local requirements for medical records.
• Current knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT-4 coding system.
• Strong knowledge of computerization and technological advances in health information.